Monday 20 July 2015

Poporopo Popcorn Salad

Before I get onto the main body of this post - the popcorn 'salad' - let me just rant and rant about relative new comers, "Poporopo". Just say that name a couple of times out loud first. It sounds delicious, moreish even,  right!!?? Well, you've just tasted their product without even taking one bite...

I genuinely love their product (and I've tasted all varieties!), love their name, their marketing and their packaging... (now would be a good time to point out I was not paid to write that, nor do I have a gun to my head). Their popcorn is THE best I've ever tasted and their range of flavours makes eating popped corn a pure joy.

Each irregularly shaped buffed ball of  corn is super charged with the thickest, crispest caramel coating and then infused with either salt, peanut butter, ginger or chilli and lime flavouring; I honestly can't pick a favourite and think it very much depends on your mood. What I can confirm though (as someone who was not sure about the latter two) is that none of them are mega heavy on flavouring so don't worry about trying the somewhat unusual, but highly pleasing, flavour combinations. 

Poporopo started producing in mass last year after a few successful trial food fayres and are now going from strength to strength. They are based in Stirling, Central Scotland, which pleases me even more as they are another example of quality local produce emerging in the past 2 years! Poporopo don't just stop at selling mere bags of the best taking popcorn you've ever tried though, they do live demonstrations for kids, wedding favours and Popcorn Bars for parties and evening receptions!

So, to the salad, well I wanted to make one of those latter flavours more accessible to you.... I know the jump from Butterkist to herb infused treats might be too big so pair it up with some familiar friends and you have yourself a pretty healthy supper time snack. PS - with 1 whole bag of Poporopo Popcorn holding the same calories as a 6 square bar of diary milk (and this receipe doesn't even use the whole bag) you're good on the weight watching front too!

Simply mix half a bag of Chilli and Lime popcorn with half a dozen chopped strawberries, very finely grated dark chocolate (80-90%) and a few fresh coriander leaves.

You think I'm mental don't you!?

I promise you,  if you like things even slightly oriental, you like unusual treats for your tastebuds and you want to tip your cap to Summer at any point during the year, then this is the salad for you.

Happy popping x

No comments:

Post a Comment