Monday 13 July 2015

Polenta Fries

Chips for cheats! That's what I'm all about this week as the diet is back ON. These were introduced to me by one of these posh eateries that charges £25 for a plate of fish and chips (I wish I was joking!) but in a way I feel it was worth it just to find out about these fellas.

Admittedly, mine need a bit of work- next time I would use a higher quality stock cube, probably go for chicken stock not vegetable and perhaps add a smidgen of cheese such as parmesan. I would also work on 'shaping' these a bit more but when they are all going into the gob I suppose it doesn't matter as I for one am not charging £25 for mine!

The reason I'm hooked on polenta fries is because the ground maize flour is virtually fat free and develops an equal, if not better, crispiness to that of french fries!! Also, because you can alter the flavour to suit, as I said I would do a cheesy version next time but you could try garlic, sunblushed tomato or cinnamon, you can excite your tastebuds - unleash your inner chef!

To make these beauties simply cook 120g of polenta in 500ml of stock (I sadly used a low quality veg cube which came through in the taste, don't make my mistakes!)  Add a little onion salt, paprika and a touch of chilli powder. Cook for 8 minutes, or until a solid mass results, spread onto a baking tray lined with cling film and leave to cool. Then chop this slab into chip like sticks and baked for 15mins in a fan oven, temperature 180 degrees.

Done! They certainly curb my chip cravings and add another carby dimension to a meal if you are sick of rice and tatties!!

Let me know what flavours you enjoy, happy chipping! 

No comments:

Post a Comment