Tuesday 10 June 2014

Orange and Mango Mini Loaves

So today was a loooong day, it was a difficult day too. What do long, difficult days usually call for? Munchies, that's right. Yet, when you are on a pre-wedding healthy eating stint munchies can be a pretty tough gig and are usually out of bounds.

Now, before I go any further I have to admit I'm no baker! I approach baking as I do cooking which usually turns out well - 'add a bit of this and that'-  it's all rather technical really but all bar 2 of my previous baking creations have ended in the bin! The 2 that have made it to the plate left a vile taste in the mouth so I didn't have high hopes for tonight's experiment. However, beggars cant be chosers when it comes to munchies...

Much to my and hubz2b's delight they were edible AND delish!  I present to you my mini orange and mango loaves:

I mixed approximately 175g of self raising flour, 50g of caster sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 50g of chopped dried mango and 3/4 quarters of a squeezed orange together - I could already see the acid from the orange juice reacting with the baking powder! Once these ingredients were mixed slightly, I added one egg along with the tiniest tad of milk to fold the mixture. I then split this evenly between 3 mini silicone loaf trays and baked at 200 degrees.

In order to justify this treat, I proceeded to do light weight arm reps in my kitchen for the 13 minutes they took to cook. This step is optional....

The beeper goes and my beauties are ready.

Hubz2b and I taste tested them on their own, with Mackays Scottish Strawberry Conserve, Mackays Dundee Orange Marmalade and a wee touch of olive oil spread. All tests proved extremely successful, with hubz2b commenting "I dont even like marmalade but they are good!". However we both had to agree that the strawberry conserve really pulled the flavours of the mango and the orange together to make quite an impression!

Not bad for a 20 minute munchie improv.... Enjoy! X

1 comment: