Monday 9 June 2014

Chilli and Coriander Prawn Salad

Prawns; discuss.

Me? Well, they can freak me out somewhat.

I like them, just as I like salmon...cod....haddock....and...mackerel but prawns can tred a thin line between 'safe' water based offerings such as these fleshy fish and risky fruits de mer such as mussels,  crab, lobster and the dreaded cuttlefish!

I prefer small and pre-cooked prawns although I will never forget the outstanding taste of chargrilled garlic king prawns I experienced once at a tapas bar in Dundee! For them, I overcame my fear of 'removing the body'.

Tonight I messed around with a cold lunchtime dish to create a warm dinner time treat, and with fewer than 300 calories my taste buds and my waist line thanked me ten fold! This blog is based on making the salad for one, as tonight I dined alone, but just increase accordingly if making for more. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, prawns are now my new favourite thing. ...

As 4 or 5 sliced baby jersey potatoes bubble away, dress approximately 75g of pre-cooked prawns in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, a quarter wedge of freshly squeezed lime juice, 25g of chopped coriander and ground black pepper. To add 'heat' to this dish, not only did I warm the potatoes prior to serving but also added 1 finely chopped red chilli 'tip' which gave great depth and warmth to the meal. As I waited on the potatoes cooking, I arranged mixed lettuce leaves on a plate with chopped cherry tomatoes (6 of) and half a spring onion. That was me done! This dish only takes the length of time the potatoes take to cook (so 12mins if we are being precise) and you are ready to serve!

The heat from the potatoes really wakes up the smell and taste of the lime, coriander and chilli making this quite an Asian tasting plate full which really packs a punch! Overall I would recommend this for a change to the typical run of weekday meals or if perhaps, like me, you fancy a holiday but can't quite afford somewhere nice right now!

:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment