Tuesday 6 December 2016

Don't Be Duped: Are You Really Buying "Local"

I won't name the local business who has pushed me over the tipping point into actually writing this blog (it's been a bee in my bonnet for over a year!) as shaming isn't my aim or game, however I do feel compelled to write something now, after all this time, and I'm sure anyone with half an eye on my Facebook feed will know where this has stemmed from.

You might not care where your food produce is sourced, and if that is the case - brilliant, this post isn't for you. However, some people do - or are at least mildly interested - and quite rightly, they like to take local food businesses at face value, rather than investigating whether their claims are true.

By this I mean words like "local, small scale, batch made, hand made, family run, hand crafted, unique, traditional, fresh, farm to fork, bean to bar..." etc imply just that, and we want to believe them! But it's come to light in recent years - since the time when 'local' made an on trend come back really - that some of these budding local business claims are not always to be believed. Yes they may be "fresh from farm", but whose farm and what sort of outing has it had along the way?

It may suprise you to know that some local food outlets within the Forth Valley region are tarting up non-Scottish, hell, even non-British, produce in an attractive marketing campaign. Are you cool with that?!

My top tips for enquiring as to where your food has really come from is to....

Firstly - ask! I've encountered a couple of uncomfortable stall holders at food events when I've posed that question in the past, but that usually gives you a good indication. If they don't come up with the information willingly, I would advise you move on to someone who does.

Secondly - look at the packaging. Unless they are doing something really wrong the origin of source will still always be printed. No hiding there boys.

And finally - shop through your local Food Assembly! There you can be guaranteed produce is local and you can even meet the seller when you pick up your order to have a wee chat! There are two Food Assemblies in Edinburgh, two (or soon to be two) in Glasgow and one in Stirling so look them up.

As I say, this sort of thing may not bother you, but CouthieCantie is all about promoting and supporting Scottish produce where possible and for too long it has been bothering me. I wanted to flag this for others who may have been fooled as I have been, and to encourage you to demand more of our local businesses. It's the only way we will truly ever fulfill our ambition of being a Good Food Nation.

If you have encountered any suppliers of concern then please let me know - we may have a name and shame board for 2017 yet ;)

Nikki x

No comments:

Post a Comment