Friday 22 May 2015

Versatile Bulleit Bourbon Sauce

Versatile? Why? Well, I've served this with shredded beef (which recieved a big thumbs up), with salmon fillets  (the same success) and I know this would compliment BBQ'd pork chops, chicken breast or wings just a treat too! It really is the floozie of boozy susie's in the sauce world.

With this sauce I'd recommend you experiment, to get the taste just right for you. Some people will opt for a sweeter sauce, others more spicy and some will just be looking for a real kick of whiskey! Alter these measurements to suit and find the balance that's right for you (and your dish!) But remember that time, care and attention during the reduction process is the key. Don't rush it, be patient, it's worth the wait I promise you.

1 cup bulleit bourbon
1/2 cup ketchup
2-3 heaped tablespoons of soft brown sugar
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
Salt and Pepper at the very end.

Bung it all together and simmer on a medium heat until the alcohol has cooked off and you are left with a semi thick, glazed liquid. This took me about 20-30mins so don't expect this to be a quick win. You may also wish to squeeze half a lemon into the sauce to give it a 'lift' if you feel it's too sickly sweet.

As I said, I used this with beef and salmon for weekend dining and both were winners but why not make a big batch of sauce and jazz up mid week sandwiches, wraps or burger buns!?

During the next experiment I'd like grate a half clove of garlic into the pot, just to add a 'hum' of difference, and then melt some butter in at the very end too. I'd separate into ice cube trays or cake pop moulds, put in the fridge and see if this would work as an alternative to garlic butter on a steak! If you try it first let me know how you get on!

Happy Bourbonating folks! Have a great weekend.x

No comments:

Post a Comment