Saturday 6 September 2014

Scottish Bramble Sorbet

Ok, so the second blog of this evening goes to dessert: Sorbet!

This was inspired by my better half's little brother who has made brilliant (if slightly alcoholic) sorbet in recent weeks which made me realise I totally discount it as a satisfying pud! I also reckoned if a 12 year old could make sorbet- so could I.

I started by mixing 170g of sugar with 1 pint of cold water in a saucepan and added the rind of a lemon. I brought this mix to the boil slowly, ensuring all sugar had dissolved prior to blasting it heavily with heat for 4 minutes.

The juice of the lemon was then squeezed into the pan, now off the heat, and the liquid mixture left to cool completely.  Whilst this was cooling, I removed all random leaves and twigs from the freshly picked brambles and washed them of all additional protein (creepy crawlies), blitzing them in a blender to await the cooled syrup.

Once the sugar syrup had cooled completely,  I mixed this with the bramble pulp and drained through a sieve in order to get a completely smooth sorbet. 

Leave in the freezer for around 6 hours and then meet your new best friend. Endless opportunities exist with sorbet to try this with alternative fruit - I think the perfect pal for this tonight would have been a crisp mint chocolate thin. The fresh sweet taste or the bramles were brought to life by the lemon yet could have been better showcased with a bitter dark chocolate play mate.  Bon, bon.

No comments:

Post a Comment